Tuesday 21st February – Friday 24th February
What is Family Dining?
- Tables are set up with water, cups, plates and cutlery
- Students enter the dining hall and sit at their assigned table (which changes each term)
- Each table has five or six students from the same house
- Teacher signals the beginning of family dining
- Student A collects main course
- Student B serves main course
- Student C clears main course when all students have finished eating
- Student D collects dessert
- Student E clears dessert once all students have finished eating (and wipes table if only 5 students at table)
- Student F wipes table clean
- When all students are sat at the clean table they are dismissed by a member of staff.
Why do we do Family Dining?
- There is always enough food for every student
- No queueing and so students get more time to play at lunch time
- Decreases instances of bullying and exclusion as everyone sits according to a seating plan
- Students get to meet new people and practice social skills
- Encourages citizenship and team work
- Meals are paid for via the e-payment system ParentPay meaning that students do not need to carry cash with them to school.
Given the importance of Family Dining to the wider school culture, if a student is found to not be attending this will be treated as internal truancy and the student will be issued with a detention.